The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is to provide a foundation and framework for closer collaboration between the College and the Association for their mutual benefit. It is based on the recognition of retirees – whether faculty, administration, or support staff – as continuing and valued members of the College community. It addresses ways that the College can maintain and enhance its relationship with retirees and ways that retirees may participate more fully in the life of the College and contribute to the achievement of its aims and objectives. This MOU reflects the mutual intentions of the two parties to foster greater retiree involvement. It does not alter any existing legal rights and obligations that may exist.
Now Therefore, for and in consideration of the mutual promises and covenants expressed herein, the parties agree as follows.
The College will:
1. Put into place new arrangements to ensure that new retirees each year are made aware of the Association’s existence and objectives and are given an opportunity, prior to leaving the College, to authorize release of their contact information to the Association. These new arrangements will also include a report from the College to the Association at least twice each year (in June and December) containing (a) the total number of current retirees for the reporting period and (b) contact information on those retirees who have authorized it to be shared with the Association.
2. Establish new internal procedures at the College that ensure increased communication and consultation with retirees with respect to College activities. The range of matters
involved is broad and extends from invitations to College events such as graduation ceremonies and social activities (including staff appreciation events), to appointments to committees, to retirees offering advice on possible general interest courses and teaching courses or providing workshops. As an example, the Speakers Bureau list that currently includes names of alumni will be extended to add names of retirees who indicate an interest in being a guest speaker in the classroom.
3. Provide free printing of Association materials.
4. Mail information to retirees who don’t have email addresses.
5. Provide membership as Associate Alumni through the Alumni & Development Office and access to the benefits applicable to that category of membership – as detailed at http://www.stlawrencecollege.ca/foundation/alumni/alumni-discounts/.
6. Provide space at the College for Association meetings and functions at no cost (subject to availability).
7. Provide free parking for retirees attending Association or College functions at the College.
8. Maintain a mailing address at the College for use by the Association, as follows: St. Lawrence College Retirees Association, St. Lawrence College of Applied Arts and Technology, 100 Portsmouth Avenue, Kingston, ON, K7L 5A6. Establish internal procedures whereby mail received at this address is directed to the Alumni & Development Office which, in turn, will notify the current executive of the Association so that any such mail can be collected.
The Retirees Association will:
1. Celebrate the achievement of College students through support for student bursaries and awards.
2. Assist with the ongoing documentation of the College’s history.
3. Encourage its retirees to volunteer as ambassadors to the community on behalf of the College.
4. Act as a source of social and professional networking for retirees.
5. Enhance communication to the College community about the activities and accomplishments of retired members.
Neither the Retirees Association nor its members shall use the logos of the College unless such use has been authorized in accordance with the College’s Corporate Logo usage guidelines. Any request for such use and approval shall be made through the Alumni & Development Office in consultation with the Marketing Department. [For the purposes of this section, authorization has already been given for the logo/letterhead design below, which was developed by the College in conjunction with the Association in 2009. This logo/letterhead may be redesigned, again in collaboration with the College, to include the Association website.]
The Retirees Association may use the College’s name only in the following circumstances and shall in no manner, either implied or explicit, indicate that the Retirees Association is a partnership or joint venture of the College.
1. To indicate and require that all members were previously employed at the College;
2. In the name of their organization;
3. To solicit donations;
4. To recruit members; and
5. To promote attendance at Retiree Association events, activities, and programs.
Mechanism for Ongoing Collaboration
To pursue and administer ongoing collaborative efforts, a joint Coordinating Committee will be established. It will consist of three representatives each from the College and the Association and will be chaired by the College Senior Vice President, Advancement, Student, and External Affairs. The other College representatives will be the Director of Alumni & Development and the Director of Human Resources. The Association representatives will be its President, Vice-President, and one other member chosen by the executive. The committee will meet at least twice annually. Other meetings may be scheduled at the call of the President of the College or the President of the Retirees Association.
The Coordinating Committee will ensure ongoing communication between the College and the Retirees Association with respect to their existing relationship and will also provide a forum for consideration of possible changes and enhancements. An underlying objective of the ongoing discussions will be the creation of an atmosphere of continuing welcome, involvement, and
respect for retired members of the College community. A further objective will be to ensure that retirees are kept informed of opportunities to contribute their expertise and experience in support of College objectives.
Term of Agreement
This MOU, once adopted by the College and the Association, will remain in effect from year to year unless either party gives the other two (2) months written notice that the MOU will terminate at the end of the College’s next fiscal year. No amendment to this MOU will be effective unless reduced to writing and signed by an authorized representative of each party.
The MOU constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with regard to the subject matter and no prior or contemporaneous agreement, written or oral, will be effective to vary the items of this MOU.
ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE
__________________________________________ _ _______________________
Glenn Vollebregt, President Date
ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE RETIREES ASSOCIATION
Kathy Lawton, President Date